The people of Leeds have been asked to join a minute’s silence on Friday – a week after the Tunisia terror attacks which claimed the lives of a couple from the city.
Civic leaders will gather in Victoria Gardens on The Headrow at noon in honour of the 38 victims of the massacre in the resort of Sousse last Friday.
Among the 30 British people killed by 23-year-old student Seifeddine Rezgui, were Chris and Sharon Bell, from Killingbeck.
Their family said in a statement on Wednesday that they were “deeply saddened” at the loss of the couple, who left three children and a number of grandchildren.
The silence in Leeds is one of a number of similar events taking place across the country.
Flags will be flown at half-mast over Whitehall departments and Buckingham Palace.
Lord Mayor of Leeds, Coun Judith Chapman, said: “As the nation comes together to remember all those who have suffered as a result of last week’s shocking attack, I would ask for everyone in Leeds to pause at 12 noon to pay our respects to the victims from our city and country.
“Anyone who wishes to join us at Victoria Gardens is most welcome.”
Mosques in Leeds will remember the victims during Friday prayers.
The bodies of nine more British victims were returned to the UK yesterday, bringing the total number repatriated to 17.
The bodies of Mr and Mrs Bell were expected to be on RAF flights either today or tomorrow. Once all the bodies have been returned a single inquest covering all the British victims will be opened in London.