Leeds unsolved murder: Adam Chadwick fatal shooting anniversary prompts family plea to killers

“It would be nice just to remember him without having to appeal for the killers to come forward”, said Jackie Chadwick as she prepared herself for the anniversary of her son’s murder.

Thursday, 24th June 2021, 4:45 am
Adam Chadwick, a 20-year-old Leeds dad, was fatally injured when unknown intruders entered his sister's home in Harehills on June 24, 2008.
Adam Chadwick, a 20-year-old Leeds dad, was fatally injured when unknown intruders entered his sister's home in Harehills on June 24, 2008.

“Just to try and be like any normal person who's lost someone, just to have that day to remember him without having to put appeals out there - but we know we have to do that.”

It has been 13 years since Adam Chadwick died after being fatally injured during a struggle with unknown intruders at his sister’s home in Clifton Mount, Harehills.

The carpet fitter from Seacroft was just 20 years old and a dad to Ruby, who had celebrated her third birthday only a few days before his death.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Adam Chadwick pictured with his daughter Ruby, who had just turned three when he was killed.

His murder in 2008 remains unsolved but detectives have said that they believe Adam was the victim of mistaken identity.

The Chadwick family, who have now spent more than a decade of fighting for answers, are urging people to come forward once more.

Speaking to the Yorkshire Evening Post, his parents Jackie and Martin said: “We are coming up to the 13 anniversary of the murder of our son Adam Chadwick.

“We are still hoping someone will come forward with information that will give us closure and justice for Adam.

The family of Adam Chadwick, pictured in 2018, as they made a fresh appeal to find his killer. Adam's daughter Ruby is pictured with grandparents Martin and Jackie Chadwick.

“Thirteen years living with it is a long time. When it comes around this time and you realise how many years it is, that is the hardest thing to believe.

“It dredges it all back like it was yesterday. You relieve it every time."

Knowing that Adam's killers are still out there and are yet to be brought to justice is something that haunts the couple, who have since moved away from Leeds.

“We just really want the people responsible to pay for what they have done," they said.

“We are appealing for the people responsible, or someone who knows them, to come forward. That's all we're asking now.

“A mum to another mum, whoever their parents are or someone who knows them, how would they feel if it was a member of their family having to live with this every year?”

The sequence of events leading to the fatal shooting on the night of June 24 began when a woman went to Adam's sister's house, asking for a woman called ‘Michelle’.

She returned at 10.40pm with three unidentified men, one of whom was carrying a Russian built Baikal converted gas handgun that would soon be fired.

Within a short time of them coming to the door, a disturbance began and it was then that Adam was shot. He died in hospital two days later.

Police found a number clues that might help to identify his killers but nobody has ever been charged, leaving Adam's family in limbo.

Jackie said: “It is like someone's just digging something in your chest and you just feel anxious because even though you're trying to carry on as normal, at this time of year it eats away at you.

“It just fetches everything back and you can't just focus on the memory of Adam, it's all the other side that comes with it and that's the hardest thing as well.

“We have to just keep trying and hopefully one year or one day, that phone call will come and we'll just get that information we need, the person who is responsible for this will come forward and we won't have to go through all this.

“That's what we want - just to be able to remember him for who he was, which was a loving son, an amazing dad, and just caring and happy and outgoing.”

Detective Superintendent Mark Swift, of West Yorkshire Police Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, said: “Although thirteen years have now passed since Adam’s murder, it will never be too late for those who know who was responsible to tell us, and to finally give his family the closure they still so desperately need.

“We know just how painful every anniversary is for the family and we remain committed to helping them get the answers.

“We are certain there will still be people out there who have knowledge of exactly what happened that night, and we can only hope that it continues to weigh so heavily on their consciences that they will do the right thing and help Adam’s family to get justice.”

The woman who knocked at the door that night is described as white, in her late 20s and 5ft 5in, with dark brown hair and olive skin.

A blue Ford Focus C-Max is believed to have been used by the woman and three men.

CCTV footage showed it being stolen from Oatland Heights in Little London on June 11, almost a fortnight before the shooting.

It is known the getaway car went along Clifton Mount and turned right into Hudson Road before heading down towards Compton Road, where it was lost from view.

The next day, the car was found abandoned at the corner of Chapeltown Road and Reginald Street in Chapeltown. An unsuccessful attempt had been made to set fire to the vehicle.

Its genuine number plate – registration YH54 SBV – was still fitted, but one of the car’s regular wheels was missing and its emergency spare wheel had been fitted to the rear offside in its place.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team via 101, quoting Operation Pimento or use the www.westyorkshire.police.uk/101livechat facility to make contact.

Alternatively, call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or use its secure online form which can be found on the www.crimestoppers-uk.org website.