Leeds: Gun terror for girl, 16, in raid

editorial image
Have your say

A FAMILY was left traumatised after their 16-year-old daughter had a gun put to her head during a terrifying burglary in Leeds.

Now detectives have appealed for help in finding the three -man gang who struck as the father of the family was coming out of his detached house in Alwoodley.

The 62-year-old was grabbed by three masked men, one brandishing a shotgun, in the grounds of his house in Manor House Lane at 10.25pm on Saturday.

They forced him back into the property where he, his 50-year-old wife and two 16-year-old daughters were held at gunpoint for more than 20 minutes.

During the incident, it is believed a shotgun was put to the head of one of the family’s daughters, with one daughter suffering bruises to her face as she grappled with one of the intruders.

The family were held prisoner in their own home as the burglars searched for valuables.

At around 10.50pm, the raiders left the house with a quantity of jewellery and drove off in the family’s silver Volvo XC90.

Detectives from North Leeds CID are looking for anyone who may have seen the Volvo in the area at the time of the offence or in the days since the burglary.

Police believe the intruders may have driven to the area in another vehicle and are appealing witnesses to come forward.

The burglar who carried firearm, thought to be a shotgun, was described as an African or dark-skinned man, around 6ft 3ins tall and of slim build. He wore a green and dark coloured khaki jacket and trousers.

Another gang member was described as 5ft 7ins tall, of chubby build with dark, pale skin.

He is thought to have spoken with a local accent but may have origins in Pakistan or India. A third suspect was described as 5ft 9ins tall with a similar accent.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det Sgt Rob Stabler or Det Con Tony Thewlis at Stainbeck CID via 0845 60 60 606 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


by bruce smith

crime reporter

Family of Leeds woman Gemma Simpson blame mental health treatment failings for her death