Irfan Wahid trial: Teenager guilty of manslaughter over stabbing of love rival at Leeds bus stop

A TEENAGER has been cleared of murdering his schoolboy love rival but found guilty of manslaughter.

Thursday, 17th August 2017, 1:07 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:02 pm
Irfan Wahid was killed in February.

A jury today reached verdicts after hearing how Irfan Wahid, 16, died from a single stab wound to the heart during a confrontation on a busy high street in Leeds.

The defendant, who cannot be named, inflicted the fatal stab wound at a bus stop on Harehills Lane on February 10 this year.

Leeds Crown Court heard Irfan and his killer had fought over the affections of a schoolgirl they both had feelings for.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The jury of six men and six women found the defendant not guilty of murder after more than two days of deliberations.

They found him guilty of an alternative charge of manslaughter by a majority of 10-2.

The defendant, now aged 17 but 16 at the time of the killing, will be sentenced on September 15.

Judge Geoffrey Marson, QC, adjourned the case as he said it was necessary to obtain Youth Offending Team reports.

The teenager was remanded into secure accommodation until the next hearing.

He showed no emotion as the verdicts were announced to the court.

Irfan's family members and relatives of the defendant were in the public gallery throughout the trial.

Jurors heard Irfan got off his school bus on Harehills Lane and attacked his rival after seeing him with the girl.

The defendant then took a kitchen knife from his bag and stabbed Irfan once to the chest.

The incident happened as Harehills Lane was busy with shoppers, parents collecting children from school and teenagers making their way home.

Prosecutor Kama Melly, QC, said: "(the defendant) and Irfan were not friends. They did not go to the same school or college.

"They had not fallen out through links to gangs or criminal involvement.

"Their link, it seems, was through connections with the same girl."

The knife went through Irfan's rib cage, ten centimetres into his body, penetrating the lower part of his heart.

Paramedics fought to save Irfan but he was declared dead at Leeds General Infirmary at 4.41pm the same day.

The defendant handed himself in to police two days later and admitted having the knife which caused the injury.

He gave evidence at the trial, telling the court he produced the knife because he was under attack by Irfan.

He claimed he had acted in self-defence and used the knife only to scare Irfan, not to cause him physical harm.

Read more.