Drunk man took knife to Popworld club in Leeds

A drunk man who took a knife into a Leeds nightclub after drinking half a bottle of whisky has avoided immediate jail.

Sunday, 16th February 2020, 6:00 am

Sardar Rahim had also taken tramadol painkillers before he went to the Popworld club on Cookridge Street, Leeds Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor, Louise Pryke said Rahim, 48, had a steak knife with a three to four inch long blade in his back pocket when he went to the club just after midnight on New Year's Day.

Miss Pryke said Rahim became irate after being confronted by security staff and was still aggresive when police arrived to arrest him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Popworld on Cookridge Street Image; Google

Rahim told police he had been drinking at home and was cooking and must have taken the knife out with him by accident.

Rahim, of Lincoln Green Road, Burmantofts, admitted possessing a knife in a public place.

The court proceedings were relayed to Rahim by a Kurdish interpreter.

Michael Morley, mitigating said Rahim has no previous convictions, has been in the UK for 20 years and has never been in trouble before.

Mr Morley said: "He has been drinking at home. A combination of drink and medication has resulted in him ending up in a situation completely out of character."

Mr Morley said Rahim had entered the club when a security guard noticed the glint from the knife in Rahim's back pocket.

Mr Morley said: "He was drunk and he was on medication. As he was confronted he couldn't work out why he was being held by these men."

Mr Morley said Rahim used to work as a baker but has not worked in recent years due to chronic pain, including back problems.

A probation officer said: "He told he was drunk having consumed around half a bottle of whisky. He was taking painkillers including tramadol.

"He feels it's the mixture of alcohol and painkillers could have made him feel differently in terms of not being able to remember he had a knife on his person.

"He does tell me he had never mixed tramadol and alcohol before. He says he is very remorseful. He says it will never happen again."

Judge Mushtaq Khokar handed Rahim a 12 month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.

Rahim must also comply with an eight week 9pm to 6am curfew.