Drunk Leeds woman left victim with two black eyes after fight

A drunk woman who left another woman with two black eyes after a fight in Leeds has avoided immediate jail.

Wednesday, 18th December 2019, 5:00 pm

Leeds Crown Court heard Rachael Metcalfe won the fight and left her victim with significant facial injuries.

Alisha Kaye, prosecuting, said Metcalfe, 35, was drunk when she went to the victim's flat on Victoria Road and asked her for a cigarette just after 1am on October 16 last year.

Miss Kaye said an argument started after the victim invited Metcalfe in to the flat.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Victoria Road, Hyde Park. Image: Google

It led to a physical fight and the victim ran out of the flat before police were called.

Metcalfe was found just before 2.30am on nearby Norwood Terrace.

Metcalfe, of Victoria Road, Hyde Park, had suffered with facial bruising, scratches, a cut on her nose and cuts on her arms and legs.

Her victim suffered severe swelling to both eyes, a painful jaw and a cut to the top of her head.

Metcalfe admitted assault causing actual bodily harm.

In January, Metcalfe was sentenced to a community order for an assault on April 6 last year.

Metcalfe was on bail for that assault when she assaulted the woman on October 16 2018.

Philip Mahoney, mitigating, said: "It was a fight which the complainant started and which Miss Metcalfe won."

Probation officer Helen Nunns said Metcalfe is remorseful and regrets the assault.

She said Metcalfe worked up until two years ago when she was diagnosed with low mood and anxiety.

The court was told Metcalfe had a problem with binge drinking and is currently on a waiting list for counselling.

Handing Metcalfe a six-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, recorder Andrew Dallas told her: "An argument developed - in circumstances which are not clear to the court - and a fight began, which, as your advocate put it, you won.

"The effect was that you accept that your assault became unlawful and the other party was left with significant facial injuries."

Metcalfe was told she must complete a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement.