Drug-fuelled thug attacked man with machete, bottled Co-op worker and rammed car containing child

A THUG attacked a man with a machete, deliberately crashed into a car in which a child was travelling then attacked a Co-op worker with a bottle when she refused to serve him beer.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 28th June 2018, 6:29 am
Nathaniel Stobart
Nathaniel Stobart

Nathaniel Stobart was locked up for more than four years over three separate drink and cocaine-fulled offences in Leeds.

An adult and child had to jump out of the way of the road rage incident which took place during a Monday morning rush hour.

Leeds Crown Court heard the victim of the machete attack almost lost his fingers in the attack.

Michael Collins, prosecuting, described how Stobart became violent after spending the evening drinking at a house in Horsforth.

Stobart attacked the victim after an argument, punching him unconscious.

The 27-year-old then removed an ornamental machete from a wall.

The victim suffered serious cuts to his hands as he grabbed the blade in order to protect himself.

One of his fingers was almost severed off. He had to undergo surgery and spent 12 days in hospital.

Later the same morning, 7.15am on December 11 last year, Stobart deliberately rammed a car in which a man was take his son to school.

Stobart was driving on Abbey Road, Kirstall, when he shunted the vehicle from behind.

He continued to force them along the road for around 80 meters.

An adult and child had to had to jump out of the way of the vehicles.

Stobart then carried out the bottle attack on a member of staff at the Co-op, on Broadway, Kirkstall.

Mr Collins said he entered the store and took a pack of beer to the counter, but was told he could not buy alcohol until 8am.

He became aggressive and opened one of the beer bottles and began drinking from it.

Stobart turned violent when the woman went to take the rest of the alcohol away from him.

He swung the bottle he was holding and hit her in the face.

The woman managed to run to a staff room and pulled down shelving to stop Stobart from following her.

She needed five stitches to a wound to her face and suffered grazing to her eye.

In a victim statement she described how she no longer enjoys her job and does not feel safe at work.

Stobart, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and dangerous driving.

He has previous conviction for violence.

Phillip Storey, mitigating, said Stobart accepted he would be facing a lengthy prison sentence and will miss the birth of his second child while in custody.

Mr Storey said Stobart was receiving treatment to tackle his offending behaviour.

Judge Christopher Batty told Stobart: “You were no doubt fuelled by alcohol, cocaine and no little degree of rage, which is all too prevalent in your life.

“You know you have to go to custody and it will be for a significant period.”

Referring to the bottle attack, he said: “She was particularly vulnerable.

“It was a public display of violence. You were under the influence of drink and she was serving the public.”