Boy left injured by '˜feral' racist in Leeds park

A '˜feral' thug caused horrific injuries to a teenage boy in an unprovoked racially aggravated attack in a Leeds park, a court heard.

Marcus Marrocco.
Marcus Marrocco.

Marcus Marrocco was finally brought to justice two years after the assault when his victim recognised his photograph in a Yorkshire Evening Post report about him being jailed for other violent offences.

Leeds Crown Court heard Marrocco had been working as a London-based model but returned to West Yorkshire and led a “feral existence” over a five-month period during 2014.

Marrocco, 21, and his friend, Nicholas Walshaw, 23, targeted three teenage boys as they were walking around the lake at Roundhay Park on July 2 of that year.

Nicholas Walshaw.

Kitty Taylor, prosecuting, said Marrocco had shouted abuse at the boys before he and Walshaw followed them.

Marrocco shouted vile racial abuse at one of the boys before punching, kicking and stamping on him until he was unconscious.

Marrocco then went through the victim’s pockets as he lay motionless on the ground.

Nicholas Walshaw.

The two other teenagers tried to help their friend but were pushed down a slope by Walshaw. The attackers then left and the teenager was taken to hospital by ambulance.

His injuries included a fractured eye socket and broken teeth.

Marrocco and Walshaw were not traced over the attack until June 12 of last year, after they were both jailed for causing grievous bodily harm.

That offence involved Walshaw recruiting Marcus Marrocco and another man to join him in forcing their way into his pregnant ex-partner’s home in order to attack her new boyfriend.

One of the Roundhay Park attack victims saw a Yorkshire Evening Post report of the court case on Facebook and recognised both men.

Marrocco appeared in court again a month later and was given a further four years for breaking a man’s jaw after threatening him with a handgun. Marrocco and Walshaw were visited by police officers in prison and initially denied the attacks on the teenagers.

Marrocco, of Ramshead Hill, Seacroft, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm and racially aggravated threatening behaviour. Walshaw, of Euston Terrace, Holbeck, pleaded guilty to two offences of common assault.

Walshaw, who is no longer in custody, was given a two-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and told do 100 hours unpaid work.

Marrocco was due to be released in November but was told he must serve a further 16 months. Judge Tom Bayliss, QC, told Marrocco: “You were out of control.

“You were leading what appears to be a feral existence.

“Thanks to the power of the press, when you were brought to court for other matters, it was also apparent that you were responsible for this.”

Have you downloaded the free YEP app available on Android and iphone?