Crackdown on Leeds’ eyesores buildings

The Lord Cardigan pub in Bramley, pictured in 2008.
The Lord Cardigan pub in Bramley, pictured in 2008.
0
Have your say

A project to tackle the city’s worst eyesores has resulted in over half a million pounds worth of improvements.

Leeds City Council’s derelict and nuisance property programme was set up in 2012 to get empty properties blighting communities across the city either improved, demolished or put back into use.

Property and land owners have invested around £525,000 in making interim improvements as a result of intervention by the council, which has also spent £75,000 of its £500,000 allocated budget.

Councillor Peter Gruen, executive member for neighbourhoods, planning and personnel, said: “The derelict and nuisance property programme is really paying dividends.

“It’s doing exactly what it set out to do; properties in poor states of repair and neglected land are getting the attention they need, bringing peace of mind to communities fed up with the negative impact they have.

“By taking this targeted, prioritised approach we’ve been able to leverage a significant amount of spend by property and land owners. This is not only excellent value for money from our investment but a clear sign that owners are getting the message loud and clear that they must maintain their properties.”

Sites on the council’s hit list which have benefited from the programme include the site of the Lord Cardigan, a former pub in Bramley, which has now been sold to a developer to build eight family homes.

Also, the Spotted Cow, a former pub in Holbeck, has now been demolished after it became a hotspot for anti-social behaviour when the previous owner went into administration.

The current list of eyesore properties across the city stands at 100.

� Charlotte Graham 
Picture Taken 06/10/2017. 
Picture Shows
Early Morning Light on Harold Park with Swans in the foreground

The park is named after Harold Gathorn Hardy who died in 1881 at the age of 32. Harold helped establish the family run Low Moor Ironworks.In 1899 a recreation ground was added to the park, while in the early 20th century Low Moor Gala was held raising money for local hospitals. In 1931 Horsfall playing fields were added to the park, in 2014 these became a Queen Elizabeth II Playing fields and also contains Horsfall Stadium.

Harold Park is a small urban park in Low Moor, Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. The park is open all day all year round. To the immediate north of Harold Park is Horsfall Stadium home to Bradford Park Avenue A.F.C. and Albion Sports A.F.C. Park Dam is a short walking distance to the south.

The park has been given a Green Flag Award and the Platinum award from The Royal Horticultural Society Yorkshire in Bloom for open spaces.

‘12 Days of Christmas’: Seven Swans-a-swimming