Cats rescued after house fire in Leeds

Editorial image
Editorial image
Have your say

Five cats had to be rescued after a suspected electrical fault caused a fire at a house in Leeds on Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called by members of the public after smoke was seen pouring from a first floor window of the semi-detached property on Richmond Road in Farsley shortly before 10.30am.

Crews from Stanningley and Bradford attended and had to break into the house as the occupant was not at home.

They discovered the fire in a bedroom – and five cats in danger of being overcome by smoke.

The animals were taken out of the house and the fire was extinguished.

Watch commander Mark Collingwood said the cause was still being investigated but it is believed a faulty appliance had sparked the incident.

He said: “People need to be aware that electrical equipment should be of a good serviceable order. It’s a common issue – but faulty electrics can start fires.”

Stephen Blake of the CMA  Photo: Vikki Ellis

New campaign targets cartels as tip offs rise by a third