Candle sparks house fire

Have your say

An unattended candle sparked a fire in a home and left a pensioner needing hospital treatment.

The incident happened at around 5am today at a four-bed detatched house on Azerley Grove, Harrogate.

Fire crews from Harrogate received the call at 5.08am and were on the scene by 5.15am. A spokesman for the fire service said the woman was taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation but said this was not believed to be life threatening. He added the cause of the fire, which destroyed the living room and left the ground floor of the property smoke-logged, was a lit candle which had been left unattended.

Celebration of Rhinos legend John Atkinson's life following the church funeral servic at  the Headingley Pavilion. 1978 Challenge Cup final captain David Ward speaks.
19th January 2017.  Photos: Jonathan Gawthorpe

‘He stood out in every way’ - emotional tributes at funeral of Leeds rugby hero John Atkinson