Brother jailed for robbery at popular Leeds United fans pub

Eddie Carver
Eddie Carver
Have your say

Two brothers who carried out a violent robbery of the landlord of a pub popular with Leeds United fans have been jailed.

Eddie and Nathan Carver targeted landlord Martin Adamson, 52, and staff member William Coates, 69, outside the Old White Hart, in Town Street, Beeston, on December 9 last year.

Nathan Carver

Nathan Carver

The pair were attacked as they were leaving to take the weekend’s takings to the bank.

The brothers carried out the attack believing Mr Adamson would be in possession of a lot of cash as there had been two Leeds United games in the week leading up to the incident.

As they got to their car in the car park of the pub, the Carver brothers and a third man appeared from behind a bush and ran towards them.

One was armed with a baseball bat and struck Mr Coates several times as he sat in the passenger seat.

A second robber armed with a machete confronted Mr Adamson who defended himself before the third attacker threw a brick at him.

The men managed to take a holdall containing around £8,000 in takings before running off.

Mr Adamson got into his car and drove towards the Cardinals estate where he believed the men would be heading.

When he saw them and pulled up next to them, one man approached his vehicle and smashed the window with the machete.

The men ran off from Cardinal Road through gardens towards Cardinal Crescent with the landlord still in pursuit.

One of the robbers’ hoods then slipped and Mr Adamson immediately recognised him as Eddie Carver, the younger of two brothers who drank in his pub.

The three managed to get away but a police search of the area later uncovered discarded clothing, including a black balaclava, which was forensically linked to Nathan Carver.

Eddie Carver was later picked out on a video identification parade. Both men were charged with robbery.

Nathan Carver, 23, of Petersfield Avenue, Belle Isle, Leeds, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years and nine months in prison.

Eddie Carver, aged 21, of The Clearings, Belle Isle, was found guilty after trial at Leeds Crown Court and sentenced to five years and nine months.

Detective Constable Danny Wilkinson, of Leeds District CID, said: “Mr Adamson’s actions were vital in bringing these two men to justice and we hope the fact they have been convicted and sent to prison will be some source of comfort to him and his colleague who was also attacked.

“This was a really nasty incident where the offenders targeted a pub they drank in believing that the takings would be high because there had been two Leeds United games that week. The landlord Mr Adamson was clearly determined not to let them get away with it and continued to pursue the offenders despite being assaulted and threatened.”

Leeds, Sweet street, 28th March 1979'LIGHTING'Mr. Eddie Mullan, a lift engineer at the City of Leeds Public Works Department, Sweet Street, gives a last polish to one of the four old gas lamps that are to be sent to Germany.

Leeds nostalgia: Bits of old Leeds sent to Germany... in 1979