‘Accidental’ cause of blaze at West Yorkshire school

A cloud of smoke at the scene of the Airedale Junior School fire in Castleford.
A cloud of smoke at the scene of the Airedale Junior School fire in Castleford.
0
Have your say

A Fire which damaged classrooms at a primary school in Castleford was caused accidentally, the chief executive of the academy which runs the school said today.

Eight fire engines were sent to deal with the fire at Airedale Junior School, in Fryston Road, after being called out at around 7.15pm yesterday (Thurs July 15).

The last fire engine left just before 10.30am this morning before fire investigators examined the scene of the blaze.

Michaela Blackledge, chief executive officer of Airedale Academies Trust, which runs the school, said: “Nobody was hurt and we would like to thank the emergency services for their excellent response.

“Airedale infant School is undamaged and Airedale Junior School has some damage to a few classrooms but teams will be working over the summer break to

ensure the school will be open as normal to all year groups in September.

.

.

“We can confirm that the cause of the fire was accidental. Parents and carers will be updated via social media and the school’s website but Airedale Infants and Airedale Juniors will not be open to pupils before September. Staff will receive updates via the school’s email system.

“Townville Infants School will be open on Monday but access will be from Poplar Avenue.”

.

.

Collect of Daniel Long, 15, who commited suicide at his home in Leeds, South Yorkshire. See Ross Parry story RPYSTRESS; The heartbroken sister of a straight-A student who committed suicide due to exam stress has launched a national campaign to prevent it happening again. 'Brainy' Daniel Long, 15, hanged himself in February 2017 after he developed acute anxiety whilst revising for his GCSEs. He was discovered unresponsive by his heartbroken mum Emma Oliver, 43, who had rushed upstairs when she heard a loud bang coming from his bedroom. Emma desperately tried to save him with CPR while a neighbour called 999, but Daniel was rushed to hospital where he was put on life support.

MP backs bid to get a counsellor for every school