ThIS week’s film, available to view from the Yorkshire Film Archive website, will appeal to the sweet-thothed among you.
It features the original four-finger version of the bar was developed after a worker at the Rowntree’s factory, York put a suggestion in the recommendation box for a snack that a “man could have in his lunch box for work”.
The product was launched in September 1935 in the UK as Rowntree’s Chocolate Crisp, and the later two-finger version was launched on May 15, 1936.
Rowntree’s Chocolate Crisp was renamed Kit Kat Chocolate Crisp in 1937, and after World War II just Kit Kat.
Advertisements ran from 1955-1959 and include the slogan, “Have a break… have a Kit Kat.” This reel consists of a series of adverts for Kit Kat.
After trademarking the names “Kit Kat” and “Kit Cat” in 1911, Rowntree proceeded to sit on them for a decade.
In the 1920s, he came out with boxes of chocolates called Kit Cat that appeared on shelves for several years before being discontinued. In 1935, Rowntree’s introduced a chocolate wafer divided into four sections, or “fingers,” and called it Rowntree’s Chocolate Crisp. Two years later, the company changed the name to Kit Kat Chocolate Crisp.