The headlines that made the front page of the Yorkshire Evening Post on April 4, 2002.
Main story. A young woman was rescued from a blazing house at Ossett today after being overcome by smoke. Firefighters arrived at the semi-detached property in St John’s Avenue after a call to emergency services by someone using a mobile phone. Two firefighters battled their way through to a first-floor bedroom where they found a 24-year-old woman. “She had been overcome by smoke,” said a spokesman at Ossett fire station. “The house was heavily smoke-logged and she was semi-conscious.” The woman was taken to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.