It seems that November 14 is somehow fortuitous for Pudsey Bus Station. Our pictures this week show the same place but separated by a quarter of a century.
Although 1989 might not seem a long time ago to people of a certain age, it’s sobering to think it is 26 years ago - actually, according to the caption on the back of the original photograph, it’s 26 years to the day, as it was taken on November 14 of that year.
The old car park which once dominated the centre of this town and, indeed, appears in this picture, had long since been swept away in any case and the pitiful bus terminus replaced by the red bus stands, which held sway for some years, until they were themselves disposed of - thankfully, judging by the reaction of the majority in the town - and replaced by the current £2m bus station, which, remarkably, opened on Sunday November 14, 2010.
In ages past, Pudsey was part of the Morley Wapentake and part of the Parish of Calverley, although it maintained its own ‘chapel of ease’, which were created so people did not have to make the long journey on foot to the main church.
When monks first came to Kirkstall Abbey, they used to graze their sheep on land at Pudsey. It became a town in its own right in 1878, although the borough of Pudsey was not incorporated until 1900 and incidentally, this was the last such bill to be granted by Queen Victoria.
There was a plan to make Pudsey part of Leeds in 1922 but local people firmly rejected the idea. However, by 1937, parts of the borough were included and in 1974, the whole place was absorbed by its larger neighbour. Pudsey folk are also renowned for their dry sense of humour, the town being previously famous both for its fabled treacle mines and backwards flying crows.