The old toll house once stood at the junction of Tong Road and Pudsey Road - the black and white picture was taken on July 5, 1926.
Clearly now the house is gone but the tree, it appears, remains. In the original picture, a tree can be seen growing behind the house, while in the most recent picture taken just a few days ago, it dominates the junction.
On January 1858, the toll house in question featured in a story in the Leeds Intelligencer.
It related to a court case involving one George Henry Lascelles Rickards, who was “charged under the General Turnpike Act with refusing pay toll for horse and at the Swallow Hill Bar, on the 19th of August last.”
It went on: “The defendant is a surgeon practising at Armley, and on tho 19th of August, he had to visit patient Armley Heights, and also Farnley. The most direct route from tbe former point to the latter, was, by a private road, called Pit Hill-lane, which crosses the Leeds and Pudsey-road, and continues, behind the Swallow Hill toll bar, to the Leeds and Lane-end turnpike, and thence by an occupation road, called Hallidny’s-lane, to the Farnley road. At each end the continuance of Pithill-lane, runningatthebackof the toll-house,there is a chain bar, aad , on arriving the first chain, tho defendant called to the collector to come and open it, bat, as no one came, he drove round the toll bar, to Halliday’s-Lane (the Hallidays today being several streets off Armley Ridge Road).
“Doing this he passed over more than 100 yards of the Tong-Lane-end turnpike and toll was demanded, which he refused” claiming he had right of passage across the land. The magistrates, however, disagreed with him and fined him 10 shillings, plus costs. Pickard vowed to appeal.