Seventy years ago this week, plans were approved to create a £1.5m ‘holiday village’ on the east coast. It would be called Primrose Valley, near Filey.
The Ministry of Town and County Planning gave the go-ahead for the ambitious project, which would cover 150 acres and include camping and caravanning areas.
And it was designed by three Leeds men - Sam and Alfred Patchet, of Patchet and Co and architect Harry Webster.
The first step, however, was to built 250 houses. Experts estimated it might take between five and seven years for the new town to be fully operational but added when it was it would accommodate up to 20,000 holidaymakers a week.
Shops, banks and post offices were also to be built as part of the ambitious scheme, together with tennis courts, bandstands and a boating pool. Changes to the road and rail network were also planned, with the construction of a new station about half a mile from the site.
But the plans didn’t stop there. Dubbing the development “the finests little town and holiday resort on the east coast”, Sam Patchet said there were also plans to create a 127-acre golf course and install an air strip next to the village.
Meanwhile, the picture above shows some Leeds children enjoying the bank holiday in 1946. Pictured are Gillian Secunda, two and Anne Benzies, four - the first ate a pie, the second an ice cream, as they waited for their train to arrive.
Below them is three-year-old Anne Scully, who took a jigsaw puzzle and games in a bid to pass the time during the trip to the coast. She looks very smart.
If you know any of the people in the pictures, get in touch.