Club History, Facts and Figures

LEEDS were founder members of the Northern Union when it broke away from the Rugby Football Union in 1895.

But the roots of the current Leeds club date back a quarter of a century earlier than that, to the formation of the Leeds St John's club which played at Cardigan Fields, near Headingley.

In 1888 the Cardigan Estate was sold at auction and Lot 17a was purchased by a group of Leeds citizens, who intended to form the city's leading sports club. Lot 17a became what is now Headingley Stadium, one of only a handful of venues in the world to have staged international matches in three different sports - rugby league, union and cricket.

 

Back to the top of the page