Hunslet Hawks boss ‘gutted’ at Sullivan ban

Adam Sullivan in match action.

Adam Sullivan in match action.

0
Have your say

HUNSLET HAWKS forward Adam Sullivan’s two-match ban – which will keep him out of Sunday’s derby at Batley Bulldogs – has been labelled as harsh by boss Paul March.

Sullivan was found guilty of committing a “dangerous throw” on York City Knights player Chris Thorman in the opening Co-op Championship fixture two weeks ago.

The RFL disciplinary committee also fined Sullivan £50 for the grade B offence, after deciding he had “behaved in a manner contrary to the spirit of the game”.

Said March: “I would have expected him to get one week.

“He put him (Thorman) in a dangerous position at one stage, but he put him down safely.

“I am gutted that Adam has got two games, especially the way he has started the season. But this will just make him hungrier when he comes back.”

Dave Clayton could return for Hawks this weekend after recovering from a groin problem.

On-loan Elliot Kear – who was with parent club Crusaders last week – and Tabua Cakacaka are also back in contention.

But Waine Pryce (hamstring) is a major doubt and March won’t feature after missing last Sunday’s stunning win at Widnes due to a groin strain.

The player-coach said: “I could maybe play, but you should not change a winning side unless there are injuries.”

Batley coach Karl Harrison is promising changes following his side’s 36-6 drubbing at Featherstone Rovers last weekend.

Paul Mennell is available after injury and Craig Potter, Adam Robinson and Elliott Hodgson are also in the frame.

“There has got to be changes,” said Harrison. “We need a reaction after what happened last week, when we were clearly second best against a pretty good team.”

NO GAME: Hunslet's players in action against Halifax last weekend in the Challenge Cup

Frustration for Hunslet after RFL cancel home clash against Whitehaven