Match report: Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers

Match action from Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers. PIC: PA
Match action from Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers. PIC: PA
Have your say

Warrington maintained their position at the top of the engage Super League with a ruthless 11-try demolition of Castleford at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Wolves passed the 50-point mark for the sixth time this season as they were too strong for a faltering Tigers side who have now gone five league games without a win after their bright start to the campaign.

Australian winger Matt King, scrum-half Lee Briers and loose forward Simon Grix all claimed two tries, while full-back Brett Hodgson claimed a personal tally of 18 points with a try and seven goals in the rout.

Castleford suffered a pre-match blow when prop forward Paul Jackson sustained a back injury in the warm-up which in a late reshuffle saw Nathan Massey take his place in the starting line-up and Oliver Holmes join the substitutes’ bench.

It was a further blow to a Tigers side already missing key men Willie Isa, Craig Huby and Nick Youngquest.

Warrington got off to a dream start as they raced into an early 10-0 lead after just seven minutes, taking full advantage of some early Castleford errors.

After Tigers loose forward Martin Aspinwall lost possession the home side took full advantage when youngster O’Brien dummied his way over from close range after just three minutes.

And four minutes later after Castleford prop Nick Fozzard failed to keep hold of the ball it was Briers who touched down and Brett Hodgson converted to give the Wolves their early double-figure advantage.

Warrington grabbed their third try of the half after 16 minutes when the lively O’Brien and Hodgson combined to give King a simple walk-in try in the corner.

The evening got even better for the home side when O’Brien’s kick was collected by King who then passed back inside to the teenager who kicked ahead again and Hodgson raced through the Tigers defence to touch down and also add the conversion to make it 22-0.

Three minutes before half-time Briers grabbed his second try of the night when his grubber kick rebounded back off the posts into his hands, and Hodgson kicked his fourth goal to make it 28-0 at half-time.

The one way traffic continued after the break as Grix went over for a quick double, both converted by Hodgson. King clamed his second and Mickey Higham, David Solomona and Monaghan also crossed the whitewash to add to Castleford’s misery.

Warrington Wolves: Hodgson, J. Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, Briers, King, O’Brien, Morley, Carvell, M. Monaghan, Anderson, Westwood, Grix. Subs: Higham, Wood, Cooper, Solomona.

Castleford Tigers: Mathers, Dixon, Arundel, McGoldrick, Chase, Owen, Orr, Massey, Fozzard, Hudson, Jones, Aspinwall, Ferres. Subs: Emmitt, Milner, Holmes, Widders.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).

Attendance: 9,958.

Castleford Tigers' Grant Millington in no-nonsense action against neighbours Wakefield Trinity. PIC: Simon Cooper/PA Wire

Importance of momentum not lost on Castleford Tigers forward Millington