Four-time Group One winner Al Kazeem is back trotting for the first time since suffering a setback.
The seven-year-old was ruled out of both Royal Ascot and today’s Coral-Eclipse at Sandown after sustaining a leg injury following his victory in the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh in May.
Although not specifying any races for a potential comeback, trainer Roger Charlton hopes to have the son of Dubawi back for an autumn campaign.
Charlton said: “Al Kazeem is being ridden and as of today, he will start trotting for the first time which is good news. He will then have another scan in three or four weeks.
“It is a shame he has been unable to run in the Prince Of Wales’s Stakes or the Eclipse, as his form suggests he would have been in the shake up of both races.
“He is not going to all of a sudden make an appearance and if all is well, we will plan for the autumn but only time will tell us if we can do that.”
Limato could be to be stepped up in trip for a shot at the Qatar Lennox Stakes after being ruled out of the Darley July Cup.
Trainer Henry Candy has said he is likely to aim the three-year-old at the seven-furlong Group Two contest on the opening day of the Qatar Goodwood Festival on July 28 in order to give him more time to recover from his third place in the Commonwealth Stakes at Royal Ascot.
Last year’s impressive winner of the Two-Year-Old Trophy at Redcar had been as short as 10-1 for the Group One six-furlong event on the July Course next Saturday.
Candy said: “It will take a a few weeks to pick Limato back up again as the race at Ascot took a lot out of him so he won’t be running in the July Cup. Having been very slowly away, he had a hard race to get back into it. We might go to Goodwood now and try him at seven furlongs in the Lennox Stakes. There is big money in it so it is worth a try.”