Match report: Farsley Celtic set up a plum home tie

Alfreton Town 0 Farsley Celtic 2. A first win in seven games brought a double-edged reward for Farsley as they landed £5,000 prize money and a plum home tie against Blue Square Premier rivals York City in the last 16 of the FA Trophy.

It is the first time in their history Celtic have reached the third round of the competition and they will host the Minstermen at Thostle Nest on Sunday.

* Click here for more Farsley Celtic news.

* Click here for Farsley Celtic Clockwatch.

* Click here for Farsley Celtic match action picture slidehows.

* Click here for Farsley Celtic memory matches.

* Click here for Farsley Celtic player interviews.

The game has been put back from Saturday at the request of West Yorkshire Police as both Leeds United and Leeds Rhinos are at home on that day.

At Alfreton last night, Celtic manager John Deacey was forced into changes and went wholesale with just

five players in the line up who started the drawn first game on January 12.

Recalled keeper Tom Morgan put in a man-of-the-match display with a string of fine saves while captain Amjad Iqbal, who missed the first

game through suspension, provided the crucial first goal and a calming influence in a back line which was given a severe test at times.

There was also a recall for Tristram Whitman against his former club, but Deacey was without Georges Santos who had played up front for Alfreton in the 1-1 drawin Yorkshire.

Reds boss Nicky Law had a pair of more recognised strikers back for the game in joint-top scorers Brian Cusworth and Danny Reet but the pair,

like their team-mates, couldn't take advantage of several chances.

Cusworth proved a real handful for Celtic in the opening exchanges with his aerial threat as Alfreton mounted attacks which brought them a 10-2 corner

count in the first half alone.

But Farsley's first flag-kick proved fruitful on six minutes when the visitors snatched the lead. JamesKnowles' corner wasn't cleared and Iqbal created

half a yard of space in a packed area to rifle home a lowshot.

Morgan's first piece of brilliance came less than two minutes later as Alfreton hit back strongly.

From Josh Law's corner, the Farsley keeper took off to one-handedly tip over a powerful downward header fromTony Butler.

The visitors emerged from a spell of heavy pressure and Simeon Bambrook could have twice doubled Celtic's lead in the space of sevenminutes, side-footing straight at Kyle Sutcliffe and then lashing another chance yards over.

In the second half, Morgan's continued heroics preserved Celtic's lead on 62 and 73 minutes with saves from Reet, the second one a superb dive low to his right.

Celtic's impressive defensive discipline stood them in good stead as the hosts ran out of ideas.

Victory was sealed on 81 minutes when substitute Colin Heath punished hesitancy on the edge of the home penalty area to advance and roll the ball across the area to give Damien Reeves a simple task.

ALFRETON: Sutcliffe, McFadzean, Brown, Wilson, Butler, Warne, Law, Walton (Barnard 81), Cusworth (Wilson 43), Knox (McDonald 81), Reet. Subs not used: Glass, Senior.

FARSLEY CELTIC: Morgan, Jackson, Iqbal, Knowles, Bambrook, Reeves, Watson (Torpey 87), Tuck (Hotte 74), McNiven, Whitman (Heath 65), Bentham. Subs not used: Grant, Stamer.

REFEREE: Shaun Procter-Green (Gainsborough).