FA Sunday Cup: Extra-time heartache for Grene in quarter-finals

Match action from Chapeltown Fforde Grene and Humbledon Plains Farm (SR1002/96c). PIC: Steve Riding
Match action from Chapeltown Fforde Grene and Humbledon Plains Farm (SR1002/96c). PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

CHAPELTOWN FForde Grene endured extra-time heartache in the FA Carlsberg Cup – dashing hopes of a potential Anfield final.

Fforde welcomed Sunderland outfit Humbledon Plains Farm for Sunday’s quarter-final but suffered a 6-3 loss after extra time at Bracken Edge. A home brace from Eder Ruiz supported by a Dempsey Smith strike took the game to extra time.

There was also heartache for Halton Moor in the West Riding County Sunday Cup quarter-finals as they went down 3-1 in extra time to Ferrybridge Progressive.

But in the Leeds FA Sunday District Cup, Daisy booked their place in the final after a convincing 4-0 victory against league rivals Engine. Shane Collins bagged a brace with Brad Green and Kayne Hague adding one apiece.

In the Leeds Combination Premier, Beeston St Anthonys were 4-3 victors over JB Celtic. Richard Feltham, Steve Wells and Luke Kitson all struck for the hosts, but goals from Aaron O’Connor, Matthew Boyes and a Paul Hulmes brace took Beeston up four places to fifth.

Main Line Social blitzed strugglers New Pudsey 13-2. Tom Walgate and Ash Forber goals were in vain for bottom club New Pudsey.

In Division One, Colton thrashed whipping boys Oulton Athletic 8-2 at home. Richard Varley led the scoring for Colton with a hat-trick while George Clarke bagged two and George Walker, Ben Jones and Ashley Bell each scored one. Andrew Robin notched a brace for Oulton.

Nothing could separate leaders Horsforth Fairweather and third-placed Waggon Athletic, who drew 2-2. Simon Parker and Dave Scott struck for the hosts, while Danny Walker and Steve Walton ensured a point for Waggon.

In the battle for survival in Division Two, White Hart edged past Chapel Allerton Wanderers 2-1 away. Mark Freeman’s strike for Chapel Allerton was wiped out by Hart goals from Lee Nutton and Carlton Binks.

In Division Three, Garforth Villa boosted their promotion hopes with a comfortable 3-0 win away to AFC Travellers. Jamie Scott got two for Villa, while Jonpaul Sharp scored one.

Amaranth Twenty13 and Royal Park played out a 0-0 stalemate. Park’s leading scorer Mark Rozanski missed two excellent chances in the first half.

In the Leeds Sunday League, Championship title favourites Farsley Twenty Tens marched on with a 4-1 success against Water Into Beer. Farsley’s Andrew Lund, Sam Brown, Micheal Huddart and Chris Hawke all bagged one apiece.

Acorn were also 4-1 winners against bottom club New Farnley. Two goals from James Waite were supported by strikes from Phill Marshall and Darren Goodall for Acorn with Luke Henderson the sole Farnley scorer. Three of the four Hope Members Cup quarter finals survived with Harehills WMC easing to a 4-0 success against visiting Original Oak. David Allinson was at the double with David Smith and Ricki Smith adding one each. A Tesfer Walton treble also inspired Chapeltown Fforde Grene’s Leeds Sunday side to a 5-1 win at home to KKS Zubry. Fforde’s Tinique Fishley and Tony Pemperton also struck with Aiden Lewis consoling Zubry. East Leeds Celtic booked their place in the last four as efforts from Josh Fisher and Liam Sandford gave them a 2-1 success at Corpus Christi. A Stuart Scales strike failed to save Christi.

In the Barrass Trophy, East End Park enjoyed a 5-2 triumph at Halfway House (Stanningley). Neil Greenwood and Marcus Liburd notched for Halfway but they were dumped by two goals from Glen Roberts plus one each from Lee Fowler, Paul Sykes and Andy Lightowler.

East End Park v Whitkirk Wanderers West Yorkshire League Division 1 sat 14th oct 2017
Mikey Elliott scores the opener for  Whitkirk past Perry Wheeler  of  East End Park

Goals picture special 11th - 12th November