Leeds United: Whites ponder challenge to Cellino’s ban

Massimo Cellino
Massimo Cellino
0
Have your say

The possibility of Massimo Cellino challenging his Football League disqualification is still “under review”, according to Leeds United chairman Andrew Umbers.

Umbers said the Italian – banned from running Leeds until April 10 – was continuing to look at ways of challenging his punishment having lost an appeal against the Football League last week.

A three-man Professional Conduct Committee (PCC) upheld the Football League’s view that Cellino was in breach of its Owner and Directors Test following his conviction for tax evasion in Italy last March.

The 58-year-old subsequently resigned as a Leeds director seven days ago and is beginning a 79-day suspension in which he is barred from exerting any control over United’s day-to-day operations. His ban ends on April 10.

Cellino, however, could look to mount a fresh challenge by asking for arbitration with the Football Association under Rule K of the governing body’s regulations. His legal team are also investigating other legal avenues.

Umbers, who took up the role of chairman at Elland Road in the wake of Cellino’s ban, said: “All further legal representations to the Football League are under review.”

In the meantime, Cellino is complying with his disqualification and has been absent from Elland Road for past week.

Speaking 10 days ago, Cellino told the YEP: “In April, finito, I’ll come back.”

United's Pontus Jansson on the bench at Bristol City.

Video - Leeds United: Foxes cup tie gives Jansson chance to push for recall - Christiansen