Leeds United: Redfearn stay is long term - Cellino

Massimo Cellino at Elland Road. PIC: Steve Riding
Massimo Cellino at Elland Road. PIC: Steve Riding
15
Have your say

Massimo Cellino hopes to keep Neil Redfearn as head coach for the next 10 years.

Former academy manager Redfearn, 49, signed a 12-month rolling contract at the weekend to become the club’s fourth head coach since Cellino completed his takeover in April.

Former Cagliari owner Cellino is known as the ‘manager-eater’ in Italy having sacked 36 coaches in 22 years at the Sardinian club, but after dismissing Darko Milanic following just six winless games at Elland Road last month, the Italian businessman insisted Redfearn’s appointment was for the long term.

“I hope so,” Cellino told Sky Sports. “He’s still young to prove himself and to do something important for this club.

“I hope he stays at least 10 years. That is the dream, to keep him as coach for at least 10 years.

“It’s very difficult to say what will be success. If I knew the team I could tell you ‘20 points’ and the team will play a certain style of football.

“(But) if you don’t know which team you’re going to have, it’s very difficult to say.”

Cellino said the club will look to strengthen during the January transfer market, but added Redfearn, who has the option of reverting back to his old job at the end of his first year in charge, would not be choosing which players to try and sign.

“I think he has to build something and take the best that we have got and then in January we have to go into the market,” Cellino said.

“But we don’t give money to the manager to spend. I manage this club.

“I’ll work with my coach, we’ll work together because the way in England is not my way to work.

“If you give the manager that responsibility and then change the manager, you have to change all the players and that’s very wrong.

“For continuity the decision (to buy players) should come from the board and the chairman, not from the manager.

“The manager is part of the chain of the organisation. I don’t trust my manager with these things.”

Cellino added: “Their point of view is important, very important and we must work together, but they don’t have to decide who we will buy or not.”

Meanwhile, Austrian drinks company Red Bull has confirmed it has no interest in taking control of Leeds or investing in the club.

Cellino denied he was ready to sell his controlling 75 per cent stake at Elland Road amid mounting speculation, but confirmed he had held talks with representatives from the Formula One giant last week.

The Italian businessman is open to offers of investment, it is understood, but vehemently denied he was prepared to walk away from the club he bought from Gulf Finance House Capital in April.

Red Bull, it had been reported, was keen to take full control, but in a brief statement the energy drinks manufacturer told Press Association Sport it did not propose to enter into a partnership with the Yorkshire club.

“We can confirm that Red Bull has no plans to take over Leeds Utd nor take a stake in the club,” Red Bull said.

It was reported in national newspapers at the weekend that Red Bull officials had been in Leeds last Wednesday and it is understood they met with Cellino on Thursday.

Cellino has said the rumours were “100 per cent not true” and were “disrespectful”.

“We talked with an agent who said he was working for Red Bull, but I’d never met him before and I don’t know what Red Bull want to do. I’m not selling the club,” Cellino said.

Chris Wood at the final whistle against Fulham. PIC: Bruce Rollinson

Leeds United rebuff a second bid for striker Wood