Neil Redfearn has urged the powers that be to keep a good thing going at Leeds United, declaring: “I’m tough enough for the job and I believe this club can be successful.”
Redfearn still has no idea if he will be in the dug-out at Elland Road next season with United’s head coach only under contract until the end of this term.
The suspension of his assistant, Steve Thompson, last week cast further doubt on Redfearn’s future but the 49-year-old says he would still relish the opportunity to take Leeds forward.
United’s president Massimo Cellino is currently banned from running the club until after May 3 and is abroad in Miami but, contractually, Redfearn’s future must be decided before United’s last game of the season at home to Rotherham United on May 2.
And while 14th-placed Leeds approach tomorrow’s Championship game against 13th-placed Cardiff on the back of successive defeats, Redfearn says a United side blessed with a group of talented youngsters are within touching distance of developing into promotion candidates.
After a disruptive start to the season, the Whites won eight of their 12 games leading up to the recent international break.
Asked just how much he wanted to stay on as head coach, Redfearn said: “I can see things coming together.
“On the pitch and on the training ground I can see these young lads blending and finding their feet.
“I can see the seniors buying into the philosophy of what we are trying to achieve and I can see the overseas lads integrating. I can see that they are finding their feet in the Championship of what’s expected. And I can see it getting better and better.
“I’m tough enough to deal with being in charge of Leeds United. I think that’s important and I think people are perhaps seeing that. I also know that it’s a great club that is just starting to get on its feet and I think perhaps the football world are realising that.
“For the first time in a long time, this club is together on the pitch and in the stands. For me, you want to be about it because you want to be involved with something that’s going to be successful and I honestly believe that this club, in the next couple of seasons, can be really successful.”
Redfearn said he had not spoken with club chairman Andrew Umbers or any other member of United’s board since a 4-3 defeat at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday.
He also admitted that he was in the dark about the position of sporting director Nicola Salerno.
Cellino claimed this week that Salerno had resigned from his post.
Salerno, however, appears to be disputing that claim and says his future at Elland Road is still to be resolved one way or the other.
Salerno, who worked as sporting director for Cellino at Cagliari, is back in Italy and has not attended either of United’s last two matches.
Redfearn said: “I haven’t seen Nicola since the beginning of last week.
“I couldn’t comment.”