Leeds United: Redfearn - I need club’s financial backing

AMBITION: Leeds United head coach Neil Redfearn, above, will seek assurances about the club's summer transfer plans should disqualified owner Massimo Cellino seek to renew his contract at Elland Road. Picture by Jonathan Gawthorpe.

AMBITION: Leeds United head coach Neil Redfearn, above, will seek assurances about the club's summer transfer plans should disqualified owner Massimo Cellino seek to renew his contract at Elland Road. Picture by Jonathan Gawthorpe.

34
Have your say

NEIL Redfearn says he will seek assurances about Leeds United’s plans for the summer transfer market if they move to renew his contract, claiming the club will be under pressure to “challenge” in the Championship next season.

Redfearn is three matches away from the end of his deal as head coach and expects Leeds to clarify his future before the club round off their Championship season in the Elland Road clash against Rotherham United on May 2.

The 49-year-old has is yet to hold discussions about his position at Elland Road but he is hoping for imminent talks with United’s disqualified owner, Massimo Cellino.

Cellino’s Football League ban – a ruling which has barred him from controlling Leeds since the middle of January – ends on May 4 but the terms of Redfearn’s deal say the club must decide whether to extend his contract before their last game of the campaign.

United have an option to extend Redfearn’s tenure for another 12 months but the club could also ask him to resume his previous role as academy boss.

the former Barnsley midfielder, who saw his assistant, Steve Thompson, suspended by Leeds earlier this month, has guided United out of relegation trouble during the second half of this term but he believes the club will face demands for a promotion bid next season.

Leeds were hit by a transfer embargo in January after breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules but club chairman Andrew Umbers told the YEP earlier this year that the embargo would be lifted ahead of the summer window.

Cellino maintained strict control of transfer dealings during his first summer as owner, bringing 15 new players to Leeds including eight from abroad.

Redfearn claimed last weekend that the club needed “four or five players for the first XI” to have a chance of securing a top-six finish during the 2015-16 term.

“I’ve got to sit down and talk with the owner (Cellino) and for me, certain things have to be right as well,” said 49-year-old Redfearn.

“Obviously they’ve got to decide if they want me but there are certain things I’d want in place too because next season we’ll expect to challenge.

“If we expect to challenge then we’ve got to bring in the players who can help us challenge.

“All sorts of things have got to come to the fore.”

Cellino returned to England last week having travelled to Miami in the aftermath of his disqualification.

The Italian, who appointed Redfearn at the start of November, has made no comment on the head coach’s future.

Redfearn, whose side are on a run of four straight defeats after their loss to Norwich City on Tuesday, said: “If it’s not me and it’s somebody else then good luck to them.

“We’ve blooded a lot of young players, young players who are capable, so the club’s in a better position than it was when I took over.”

Full stretch: Rob Green has been ever-present for Leeds in the Championship this term.

Leeds United: How wily Rob Green still manages to get blood from a stone