I read the article about the Holbeck regeneration scheme in Thursday’s Yorkshire Evening Post (21st Nov).
hat a joke, though I doubt the residents within the scheme at Holbeck are laughing. Over three years ago we were told the scheme was ready to go ahead and all we were waiting for was to decide the preferred bidder to do the work.
Two years ago I took along to the next meeting an article in the housing magazine that proclaimed proudly that all the properties in south Leeds were now up-to the required minimum standards. I invited the council representative to come and look at my flat in Meynell Heights and repeat that statement without laughing.He accepted the statement was incorrect but said he was allowed to make it because the improvements needed had been signed up to so were classed as under way.
Last year we were a matter of months away from work commencing. This year it was the fault of one of the money providers pulling out and the Government dragging its feet on allowing the council to enter in to the PFI agreement in March this year that had been given the go ahead and we had a preferred bidder that just left the contract to be signed for work to start by the end of the year. What a shower, the residents of Meynell Heights are living in slum conditions with no light at the end of the tunnel, I wish I had been rehoused as were the residents of the flats that were pulled down. At least I would have had a property that met the minimum basic standards required for a decent standard of living, or would I? Come on councillors get your fingers out, we’re sick of your excuses and dithering....do your job.
John Stewart, Dismayed resident Holbeck