Warning after lit firework put through letterbox

l

l

2
Have your say

Warnings have been issued about the potentially fatal consequences of misusing fireworks after an explosive was posted into a flat in Leeds.

Firefighters were called to Briarmains Road in Birstall at 9.30pm on Thursday after the firework was pushed through the letterbox of a first floor property.

Watch manager Robin Ferguson, from Morley fire station, said: “The flat was empty, but the smoke alarm had activated, alerting a resident in the flat above.

“We had to force entry to the flat, which was full of smoke.

“We cleared the smoke and called the police, who secured the scene.”

He added: “On this occasion no-one was injured, but the potential to cause serious injury or death from a silly stunt like this is a significant one.

“This incident also demonstrates the importance of having a working smoke alarm.”

Library image

New war of words as three more train strikes announced on Northern