Twelve held in Leeds grooming investigation

editorial image
0
Have your say

Twelve men have been arrested by police investigating a suspected child sex grooming ring in Leeds.

The men, aged 17 to 33, were held in a series of “pre-planned arrests”, mainly in Beeston, following a probe thought to stretch back several months.

Their alleged offences relate, at this stage, to a single girl, described only as a “juvenile”.

Police have not revealed her age or ethnicity, or the ethnicity of the arrested men.

But the YEP understands the case does not mirror that which saw nine Asian men jailed in May for exploiting white girls in Rochdale.

Chief Supt Paul Money, commander of the City and Holbeck Division of West Yorkshire Police, said: “On Wednesday morning officers attended a

number of addresses, primarily in the Beeston area, to carry out pre-planned arrests as part of an investigation into serious sexual offences.

“A total of 12 men, aged 17 to 33, were arrested and taken in custody. They have since been released on police bail pending further enquiries.”

Developments in the case are not expected for several months as police continue to carry out intensive inquiries.

Mahboob Nazir, vice chairman of the Abu Haraira Mosque in Beeston, said there had been suggestions that police were investigating men in the area.

He added: “It’s devastating – an absolute shock that it could be happening under our noses. You hear about things like this happening in other areas, but you don’t think of it happening in your own locality.

“Anyone guilty of these acts should be dealt with according to the full force of the law.

“This could be anybody’s daughter, anybody’s child – a life is a life.”

Beeston and Holbeck councillor David Congreve said he was shocked at the arrests.

“I think it’s very sad, not just for Beeston but for Leeds, to think that this sort of thing might be going on,” he said.

number of addresses, primarily in the Beeston area, to carry out pre-planned arrests as part of an investigation into serious sexual offences.

“A total of 12 men, aged 17 to 33, were arrested and taken in custody. They have since been released on police bail pending further enquiries.”

Developments in the case are not expected for several months as police continue to carry out intensive inquiries.

Mahboob Nazir, vice chairman of the Abu Haraira Mosque in Beeston, said there had been suggestions that police were investigating men in the area.

He added: “It’s devastating – an absolute shock that it could be happening under our noses. You hear about things like this happening in other areas, but you don’t think of it happening in your own locality.

“Anyone guilty of these acts should be dealt with according to the full force of the law.

“This could be anybody’s daughter, anybody’s child – a life is a life.”

Beeston and Holbeck councillor David Congreve said he was shocked at the arrests.

“I think it’s very sad, not just for Beeston but for Leeds, to think that this sort of thing might be going on,” he said.

New era? The site of the former Matthew Murray High School in Holbeck earmarked as a possible site for a new training ground for Leeds United

Green-light for Leeds United training ground and ‘sports village’ plans