Restaurant boss fined after showing ‘complete disregard’ to food safety

Amaan's Kitchen on Chapel Hill, Morley, was closed after the inspection found a 'complete disregard' to food hygiene
Amaan's Kitchen on Chapel Hill, Morley, was closed after the inspection found a 'complete disregard' to food hygiene
0
Have your say

THE FORMER owner of an Indian restaurant has been fined for a string of hygiene offences after its kitchen was found to be covered in grease, dirt and debris.

Inspectors found Amaan’s Kitchen, on Chapel Hill, Morley, to have a “complete disregard” to food safety after the inspection in February.

Amaan's Kitchen on Chapel Hill, Morley, was closed after the inspection found a 'complete disregard' to food hygiene

Amaan's Kitchen on Chapel Hill, Morley, was closed after the inspection found a 'complete disregard' to food hygiene

Food preparation areas, equipment, utensils, appliances, walls and floors were covered in filth, putting potential customers at risk of contamination, environmental health officers from Leeds Council said.

Hand washing facilities for staff were “inadequate”, and officers found no evidence of them being used. In addition, the staff toilet had no hot water or hygienic drying towel.

Raees Ali, who ran the restaurant at the time of the inspection, pleaded guilty to five offences at Leeds Magistrates’ Court this week and was fined £2,000, ordered to pay £1794.58 in costs and a £120 victim surcharge.

The restaurant closed following the inspection.

Leeds Council’s executive member for environment and sustainability, Coun Lucinda Yeadon said: “Food safety laws are there to protect us whether we’re eating out or dining in. So, business owners need to be on top of their game and we as customers need to be checking and asking owners about their food hygiene rating.”

You can check ratings at www.ratings.food.gov.uk

Gareth Harris of RSM Restructuring Advisory LLP

160 staff lose their jobs as Leeds-based kitchen supplier goes into administration