Dozens of people had to be evacuated from their homes around midnight after a gas pipe caught fire in a nearby house.
Fire crews from Dewsbury attended the incident on Grafton Street, Batley, just after 11pm yesterday. A rubbish fire had set light to the main gas pipe leading into a terraced back-to-back houses.
Crew commander Steve Carruthers from Dewsbury’s green watch was first on the scene. He said: “The house was being refitted, there was a pile of rubbish outside and the main gas pipe was one which went up the outside wall. Gas leaked into one of the cellars and because we could not get access, we decided to evacuate people in nearby houses as a precaution.”
Residents from around 10 surrounding houses had to leave their homes for about an hour-and-a-half until officers from Transco could attend to cap off the gas pipe. No-one was injured during the incident.