Police order issued after Leeds mob threw items at officers

Police are concerned for a missing man
Police are concerned for a missing man

A police order has been issued to stop ‘numbers of people gathering’ on a Leeds housing estate after a mob confronted officers.

Police were called to the Wellington Stores and Bruce Lane area of the Holdforths Estate in New Wortley on Wednesday evening to reports of a disturbance involving a group of young people and two residents.

The windows of one property had been broken and a growing number of people began to throw items at police cars and officers.

At its height more than 30 people – some as young as 12 – were involved.

Police issued a dispersal order following the disorder, which means people gathering in groups on the estate can be prosecuted.

In a message to residents, Inspector Simon Jessup said: “Law abiding people living their lives on the estate should be able to do so without fear. I do want to make it clear to those engaged in the disorder last evening that their actions are punishable with imprisonment and a repeat of the last night will be swiftly dealt with.”

The message said the order was designed to prevent ‘numbers of people gathering’ but did not detail how many people this meant or for how long the order would be in place.

A 17-year-old boy was charged with a public order offence and resisting arrest. Two men, aged 18 and 26, were charged with obstructing a police officer and the young of the two was also charged with resisting a police officer.

All three were released on bail to appear at Leeds Magistrates’ Court on August 12.

PIC: James Hardisty

New plans revealed for abandoned Leeds city centre hotel site