Payout after hot fat burns boy at Leeds nursery

Katie Brewster with her son Harrison, five.

Katie Brewster with her son Harrison, five.

0
Have your say

An angry mum has sued her son’s nursery after a worker tripped and spilled burning hot chicken fat on his leg.

Katie Brewster was told by staff at Kids Academy, in Holt Park, Leeds, that her four-year-old son had spilled soup on his leg.

But Katie, of Adel, discovered that Harrison Farrell, now five, had actually been burned when a nursery assistant tripped and dropped a dish of cooked chicken – spilling hot fat on his leg.

Following a 12-month legal wrangle Katie was awarded thousands of pounds at Leeds County Court after the nursery’s insurers admitted liability for her son’s second degree burns.

Harrison has been left with a large scar on his thigh following the incident last summer

Katie, 30, told the YEP: “I was really shocked and I couldn’t believe it.”

Her son’s wound blistered the next day and he was taken to Leeds General Infirmary.

But his wound become infected and the youngster, who spent three days in hospital, had to undergo a procedure where the dead tissue was scraped from his leg.

She said: “I knew it would be a struggle, but there was no way he was going back to the nursery – especially after they initially gave me a false account of what had happened.”

But Katie, who works at a marketing agency, was astonished to receive a bill from the nursery for nearly £500 after she failed to give them a month’s notice before removing Harrison from their care.

She added:“Now that this is all over, I’m just happy that Harrison’s injury wasn’t even more serious.” Chris Baxendale from Fenton’s Solicitors LLP said: “This was a scary ordeal, both for Harrison and his mum as well. The injury he sustained was really quite severe, and Katie’s shock entirely understandable.” Nobody was available from the nursery to comment.

l

Latest mobile speed camera locations for Leeds