Hundreds of Yorkshire Evening Post readers are making the difference between a life lost and a life saved.
Nearly 300 people have signed up to join our lifesaving army of first aiders in Leeds.
And now we are calling on even more readers to help us smash our target of teaching basic first aid skills to 500 people across the city.
Today sees the start of Local Newspaper Week which is centred on ways that newspapers can make a difference.
The Yorkshire Evening Post has teamed up with St John Ambulance for our First Aid For All campaign after we revealed more than half of parents in Leeds lack the skills to cope if their child’s life is in danger.
And the charity has praised the campaign’s efforts so far to help raise awareness of first aid.
Simon Dunn, regional director for St John Ambulance North East, said: “At St John Ambulance, we urge people to be the difference between a life lost and a life saved.
“By spreading this message so effectively, the YEP has been making a difference in a big way.
“The campaign has had – and continues to have – a deep impact on our work in Leeds to raise awareness of the vital need to learn first aid.
“The newspaper’s stories and photographs of those involved in incredible life saving incidents have really made people sit up and think.
“But the shocking fact is that less than one in 10 members of the public have the skills necessary to save a life. And, although St John Ambulance volunteers give first aid to 100,000 members of the UK public each year, we can’t be everywhere.
“So, our heartfelt thanks to the YEP and to the people of Leeds.”
LEARN TO BE A LIFESAVER
* St John Ambulance are offering a three-hour course at a discounted rate of just £20.
* To book your place, telephone 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.
* First aid courses will also be held at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on Friday May 16, between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* Wednesday, May 21, between 1pm and 4pm.
* Tuesday, June 3, between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* Thursday, June 12, between 1pm and 4pm.
* Friday , June 27, between 10am and 1pm.