A Leeds MP is giving Yorkshire Evening Post readers a lesson in lifesaving.
Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls is throwing his political power behind our campaign to train up an army of lifesavers in the city.
He is set to host a special first aid course next week to help us smash our target of teaching basic first aid to 500 people in Leeds.
The Morley and Outwood MP said: “I completed one of the early courses run by St John Ambulance in partnership with the Yorkshire Evening Post back in November.
“It’s a great campaign aiming to get 500 more locally trained first aiders.
“We all see St John Ambulance first aiders at local fetes and sporting events but it’s important to take the time to learn the basics ourselves.
“I’d urge anyone who wants to learn some basic first aid to sign up.”
The YEP has teamed up with St John Ambulance to teach basic first aid to hundreds of people as part of our First Aid For All campaign.
Nearly 250 readers have signed up to take part in our special three-hour courses.
St John Ambulance regional director for the North East, Simon Dunn, added: “Ed’s whole-hearted support of our campaign is fantastic.
“Not only did he seize the opportunity to refresh his first aid skills on one of our courses when First Aid for All was launched – but he’s now encouraging his constituents to do the same.
“It’s a great boost to the campaign to have the backing of such a high profile public figure.
“We can’t have too many campaigners on this vital issue – with many people still to learn the basic first aid skills that could save a life.
The course will be held on Friday, April 4, at Unity Hall on Commercial Street, in Morley, between 1pm and 4pm.
BOOK A COURSE
St John Ambulance are offering a three-hour course at a discounted rate of just £20.
To book your place, telephone 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.
* First Aid courses will be held at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on March 25 at 9.30am until 12.30pm.
* Friday May 2, between 10am and 1pm
* Friday May 16, between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* Wednesday, May 21, between 1pm and 4pm.
* Tuesday, June 3, between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* Thursday, June 12, between 1pm and 4pm.
* Friday , June 27, between 10am and 1pm.
* Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls will host a course on Friday, April 4, at Unity Hall on Commercial Street, in Morley, between 1pm and 4pm.