THE family of a four-year-old girl who died last March just six days after undergoing an operation at the Leeds Children’s Heart Surgery Unit face waiting until next year for answers.
An inquest into the death of Mylee Weetman had been scheduled to start at Wakefield Coroner’s Court yesterday.
But the inquest had recently been postponed and a pre-inquest review hearing was held instead. At yesterday’s hearing, a provisional new inquest date was set for next April to allow time for a new independent report into Mylee’s death to be studied.
Lawyers acting on behalf of Mylee’s family have obtained the independent report into Mylee’s death from caradiac surgeon Marco Pozzi.
Mylee’s parents Christopher Weetman and Siobhan Casey, of Doncaster – who also has a two-year-old daughter, Mia – are seeking answers about how their little girl died in the unit at Leeds General Infirmary.
Mylee, who suffered from a congenital heart condition, underwent an operation on March 15 2013 to remove a build up of muscle on her heart. She died on March 21 2013.
West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchliff said another pre-inquest review will take place on January 29 and he set a provisional date of April 13 2015 for the inquest, which could last up to two weeks.
Mr Hinchliff told Mylee’s family: “I am very sorry that we still can’t go ahead and deal with this. In the long run it will help us all find out what exactly happened.”
– The future of Leeds Children’s Heart Surgery Unit had been threatened for years because of a national shake-up which recommended it for closure. That decision was overturned, but last March NHS chiefs moved to temporarily suspend surgery at the unit following concerns raised by other doctors, complaints from some parents and fears of high death rates. Experts cleared the unit to open a week later and since then the death rates have been shown to be normal, while many of the concerns from other doctors were said to be unfounded.