Leeds woman ‘choked to death on sweet from carer’

Tracey Gilboy. PIC: Ross Parry
Tracey Gilboy. PIC: Ross Parry
0
Have your say

A SEVERELY disabled woman collapsed and died after being choked to death by a sweet handed to her in error by a senior support worker, an inquest has heard.

Alison Evers, 34, had trouble chewing and could only swallow small pieces of food, but she was still handed an American Hard Gum at Horsforth Fulfilling Lives Centre, Leeds.

This led to the woman having trouble breathing, turning blue and then going into cardiac arrest. Four days later she died in hospital.

Alison suffered from Cri Du Chat syndrome, scoliosis and had learning difficulties.

Leeds Coroners Court heard yesterday that senior support worker Tracey Gilboy had brought the sweets into the day centre which Alison attended on a daily basis.

Tracey told the court she had brought them in to have after a customer meeting at the centre on April 20, 2012.

One care worker said they were passed out as “a well done for everyone participating”.

An emotional Tracey, who is no longer employed at the home, said: “Honestly, honestly, God forgive me, I should have said don’t give to Alison.

“I’ve never, ever not said I’m at fault with this, I know I am with the sweets.”

When asked by Assistant Coroner Jan Alam if she considered what Alison’s dietary needs were, she replied “No I didn’t.

File photo  of an Aldi store, as the supermarket saw sales jump to record heights despite profits slipping by nearly a fifth as the supermarket drove investment into cutting prices and expanding its reach. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Monday September 25, 2017. The German discount grocer said annual sales in the UK and Ireland rose 13.5% to �8.7 billion in 2016, with the firm enticing more than one million new customers into its stores over the period.  Photo: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire

Aldi sees sales jump to record heights