Leeds United fans have a champion chance to get their hands on mementoes of the club’s fabled glory years.
Fascinating items from Don Revie’s all-conquering reign as United manager in the 1960s and 1970s are being sold at auction next month.
And the treasure trove seems sure to have Leeds supporters raiding their bank accounts in the hope of acquiring a little piece of their club’s illustrious past.
Standout items being sold individually include:
* The ‘big red book’ presented to Revie when he appeared on TV’s This Is Your Life in 1974;
* A bound volume of Leeds matchday programmes – formerly owned by Revie – from the club’s title-winning campaign of 1968-69;
* A rare pre-publication proof copy of United legend Jack Charlton’s autobiography, For Leeds and England;
* A set of Leeds picture cards issued by the Yorkshire Evening Post in 1970.
The United-related items are among nearly 1,000 being sold by Essex-based Stacey’s Auctioneers and Valuers on February 11.
Most currently belong to sporting memorabilia dealer Roger Ambrose, who lives in Kent.
He decided to part with about a third of his huge collection as he is in the process of moving house.
Mr Ambrose, 52, told the YEP: “I’m hoping for quite a high level of interest in the Leeds lots as their team of the Sixties and Seventies is so well known.
“I’ve been collecting sporting memorabilia since 1991 but sadly the time has come to part with at least some of it.”
For more details on next month’s sale, visit the www.staceyauction.com website or ring 01268 777122.
* This Is Your Life host Eamonn Andrews surprised Revie on Sunday, April 21, 1974, as he attended a Variety Club of Great Britain dinner at Leeds’s Queens Hotel.
Guests paying tribute to ‘The Don’ on the tribute programme – also filmed at the Queens – included Liverpool boss Bill Shankly and Sir Matt Busby, former manager of Manchester United.
Subjects of This Is Your Life were famously kept in the dark about their involvement until the moment the show’s presenter appeared with the trademark red book.