Leeds pupils in science prank horror

editorial image
0
Have your say

TWO teenagers were taken to hospital after a prank during a science lesson at a Leeds school.

A small amount of the chemical ethanol – pure alcohol – was put in to a Pepsi bottle as a ‘joke’ by pupils at Swallow Hill Community College in Armley.

Mziemkhulu Siso, 14, known as Mzie, was taken to Leeds General Infirmary with another female pupil on Tuesday morning after unwittingly drinking the spiked cola.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Two pupils were taken to hospital for check ups.

“The incident was deemed to be a student prank gone wrong and will be dealt with by the school.”

Headteacher Gill Knutsson said: “This incident happened during the course of a normal lesson in which only small amounts of ethanol are made available in line with recommended practice.

“I’m satisfied that health and safety procedures were followed and we ensured the students involved were checked out at hospital as a precaution.

“However, this behaviour was extremely irresponsible and we have excluded three students for a fixed term to demonstrate to them very clearly that it won’t be tolerated.”

The alcohol was being used by pupils during an experiment about DNA.

Mzie, who lives in Armley, said: “I wouldn’t have touched it if I knew there was ethanol in it.

“I vomited everywhere. The other girl just started crying because everyone told her she was going to be sick.”

An ambulance was called to the school.

He added: “It just got out of hand and they must have thought it would’ve been funny.

“I was in hospital for a couple of hours but I feel alright today.”

Mzie’s dad Mluleki Siso said: “The teacher was there, it was during the lesson.

“How come the kids managed to do that?”

Peter Benefer and his  daughter Meesha pictured in 2014 with the peace sign she found on a honeycomb in one of Mr Benefer's beehives

Beekeeper buzzing after winning Come Dine With Me contest