Leeds mum’s home infested with hatching maggots after man dies in upstairs flat

PIC: SWNS
PIC: SWNS

A young mum’s flat turned into a horror film scene when it became infested with flies and maggots after her neighbour died and lay undiscovered for weeks.

Beau Marr’s one-bedroom rented flat became a breeding ground for hatching maggots which had seeped through the floorboards of the flat directly above.

PIC: SWNS

PIC: SWNS

At its worst, the 26-year-old described it as looking like ‘something out of a horror film’ and the flat has remained uninhabitable for 17 days.

A large-scale deep clean up operation was finally carried out earlier this week but not before Beau’s possessions were completely ruined, she claims.

The single mother-of-one, who is currently still on maternity leave, has forked out more than £400 to replace baby clothes, food and an expensive cot.

Bupa customer service worker Beau, who lives in Holt Park, Leeds, says she feels let down by her landlord and is currently looking to be rehoused.

PIC: SWNS

PIC: SWNS

She said: “I’m living on a tight budget at the moment with a young baby and I’ve had to replace clothes, a changing mat and bottle brush.

“I’m sorry but anyone who has any hygiene is not going to let your child wear clothes that have had maggots on them, that have come from a dead body.

“I think I have probably spent £400 just on clothes on food, that’s without even going into the flat and trying to see what is salvageable and what isn’t.

“It was like something out of a horror film, I have never seen anything like it. It shook and shocked me.

PIC: SWNS

PIC: SWNS

“I get up everyday and burst into tears thinking I have to go through the trauma yet again.

“If anyone else went through this situation I would be trying to help them.

“People are so quick to judge you but I’m trying to get my voice heard and people are being so heartless thinking I’m speaking out for attention.

“I want people to see social housing for what it really is, I thought enough is enough.”

Beau’s neighbour first noticed an overwhelming smell coming from the flat directly above her on July 30.

“After ringing police they told her to look through the letterbox where she saw him dead in the hallway,” added Beau.

“From what I have been told he had laid there for a good couple of weeks. His body was badly decomposed.

“I decided to stay with friends and family while the smell filtered out.

“I contacted the housing association and the officer said they didn’t even know he had passed away, I was the first person to tell them.”

But after returning with her five-month-old daughter, Bonnie, she was shocked to see her entire flat infested with flies and maggots.

“The maggots had come through cracks in the ceiling and because they had, had free rein of the flat they were in the baby’s clothes, my clothes,

“We went back on the Saturday to give the flat a clean but it was an absolute state.

“I was trying to clean the best I could but there were cases ready to hatch everywhere you looked.

“After the fumigation, the flat was covered in flies and they were still flies flying in the air.”

The site owner said unavoidable delays had affected the matter being resolved.

The Sanctuary Group, which owns the Holt Farm Close site, was made aware of the death on 2 August.

The housing group said it was unable to access the neighbour, believed to be in his 50s, property until it was decided that no criminal investigation was necessary.

Simon Clark, group director of housing at the Sanctuary Group, said: “Ms Marr will obviously not be expected to pay rent for the period of time she has been unable to live in her home address.

“In addition, she has also now received a payment from Sanctuary to cover her living costs while she has been staying with family and friends.”

B wing at HMP Leeds.

Second death at overcrowded Armley prison