Leeds Grand Theatre smoke logged after cellar blaze

The Grand Theatre on New Briggate, Leeds

The Grand Theatre on New Briggate, Leeds

1
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have tackled a blaze at the Grand Theatre in Leeds which left parts of the building heavily smoke-logged.

The blaze was reported in the cellar of theatre, shortly before 3,30 this morning, in an area used to store batteries.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service brought in two pumps, ventilation fans and six sets of breathing apparatus. Three thermal image cameras were used to locate the seat of the blaze.

A fire spokesman said the building was heavily smoke logged, with some smoke in the main auditorium.

The theatre is expected to open as usual for this afternoon’s matinee performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, starring X-Factor winner Joe McElderry.

14 June 2017 .......    Residents Carl Ackroyd and Antony Johnstone in Poplar Mount, Bramley have voiced concerns about the council's response following a fire which led to three floors being evacuated and four people suffering smoke inhalation. In the corridor on the ninth flloor a settee was deliberately set on fire causingt considerable damage. Picture Tony Johnson

Urgent fire safety action plan for Leeds private sector flats after Grenfell tragedy