Leeds family’s plea for help after asbestos killed retired joiner

editorial image
2
Have your say

THE family of a retired joiner from Leeds who died from an asbestos-related cancer is appealing for his former colleagues to help with an investigation.

Before his death aged 92 in April 2013, Edward ‘Ted’ Lawn, of Kippax, told his family he believed he was exposed to asbestos while working as a joiner at Leeds City Council, Wakefield Council and St James’s Hospital in Leeds in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ha also recalled working at Ferrybridge Power Station for Turriff Construction Limited in the 1960s. He believed he was exposed to asbestos on the cooling towers and in the turbine room.

At an inquest into his death last July, a coroner ruled that Mr Lawn died from malignant mesothelioma caused by exposure to asbestos dust.

Mr Lawn’s family has instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate where he was exposed to asbestos and why he wasn’t provided with adequate safety equipment to protect him.

His family and Irwin Mitchell are appealing for Mr Lawn’s former colleagues to help with the investigation as they may have crucial information on the working conditions he was exposed to.

Mr Lawn’s son Andrew, 50, said: “My father was elderly but he was fit and well prior to his diagnosis. He enjoyed tending to his allotments regularly but regrettably he was quickly unable to do this. My father took the diagnosis very badly and he rapidly went downhill.

“It has also been difficult to come to terms with the fact that my father’s illness was caused by his exposure to asbestos decades ago simply by going to work and it is very important that we now find the answers to how this happened.”

Anyone who can help is asked to contact Nicola Handley at Irwin Mitchell on 0113 220 6233.