Leeds family in kitchen blaze rescue

A mum and her two children were rescued by firefighters this morning after a blaze in the kitchen of their Leeds home.

The mother called firefighters to the house on Leopold Grove in Chapeltown just after 3.30am today .

Firefighters said she had gone into a first floor bedroom of the house after being alerted to the fire in the kitchen by smoke detectors.

A ladder was used to rescue the mum and her children, a boy aged 13 and a girl aged four, from the bedroom. They were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the blaze is believed to have involved the cooker, which caused extensive damage to the kitchen.

Fire crews from Moortown and Leeds attended the incident.

One firefighter at Moortown told the YEP this morning: "The smoke alarms were fitted and working- if not then it could have been a lot more serious."

* Click here to sign up to free news and sport email alerts from your YEP.

* Click here to follow the YEP on Twitter.

* Click here to Like Us on Facebook.

* Click here to add your name and location to our Leeds Ex-Pats Map.

The story of Ashley Thomas,  played by actor John Middleton, won a British Soap award.

Emmerdale’s dementia storyline inspires fundraising walk for fans