Readers are being given the chance to bag a free first aid kit as part of the Yorkshire Evening Post’s campaign to teach lifesaving skills to hundreds of people in Leeds.
The YEP has teamed up with St John Ambulance to teach basic first aid to 500 readers after we revealed over half of parents in Leeds lack the skills to save their child’s life in an emergency.
We are set to giveaway dozens of first aid kits as part of our First Aid For All campaign to train up an army of lifesavers in the city.
The special first aid kits, supplied by St John Ambulance, contain dozens of items to help readers in an emergency.
The packs come complete with bandages, emergency burn kits, sterile cleansing wipes and plasters.
And readers can bag themselves a kit if they answer a first aid question correctly on social networking website Twitter.
The YEP will tweet the first question tomorrow and the first 20 correct answers will win.
Hundreds of readers have already shown their support for the campaign by attending one of our special three-hour first aid courses.
The special courses help to give readers the basic skills to be the difference between life and death in an emergency.
David Nicklen, St John Ambulance’s regional manager training and community projects, said the response so far from the city to the campaign has been fantastic.
He said: “The response from the people of Leeds to the First Aid for All campaign has been absolutely brilliant and a real boost for the work of St John Ambulance.
“We’ve seen people of all ages and from a variety of different walks of life recognise the urgent need to learn basic first aid skills.”
Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls recently backed our campaign by hosting a special first aid course in Morley.
Leeds’s First Direct Arena also turned its lights green in support of our campaign.
LEARN TO BE A LIFESAVER
* St John Ambulance are offering a three-hour course at a discounted rate of just £20.
* To book your place, telephone 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.
* A first aid course will be held at Leeds Church Institute, on New Market Street, on April 24 between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* First aid courses will also be held at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on Friday May 2, between 10am and 1pm
* Friday May 16, between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* Wednesday, May 21, between 1pm and 4pm.
* Tuesday, June 3, between 9.30am and 12.30pm.
* Thursday, June 12, between 1pm and 4pm.
* Friday , June 27, between 10am and 1pm.