A couple and their young son fled their home after a fire broke out in the early hours.
THe incident happened at a semi-detached house on Manor Haigh Road, Lupset, at about 4.40am today.
Firefighters said they were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms.
A spokesman said the fire began in the kitchen area after something had been left on the hob unattended. He added there was heavy smoke logging to the house but that the three people who escaped were uninjured.
He said: “This is a good example of how smoke alarms save lives. If you don’t have them fitted already, get some. If you are worried about cost, call us and we will come to your house and fit them for free.”