DCSIMG

Teen ‘accepts responsibility’ for killing Leeds teacher Ann Maguire

Ann Maguire

Ann Maguire

  • by Tony Gardner
 

A SCHOOLBOY has accepted responsibility to the unlawful killing of Leeds schoolteacher Ann Maguire.

A court heard the youngster, who cannot be named, is likely to face a murder trial later this year.

The boy appeared at Leeds Crown Court earlier today for a hearing in relation to the death of the 61-year-old Spanish teacher at Corpus Christi, Halton Moor, Leeds, on April 28 this year.

During the ten minute hearing, the 16-year-old’s barrister, Richard Wright, QC, said he accepted responsibility for the unlawful death of Mrs Maguire.

He said: “We are content with that and it has been communicated to the family and it can be reported.”

Paul Greaney, QC, prosecuting, said: “It does not amount to an admission of murder although it does amount to an admission that he is guilty of manslaughter.”

No pleas were entered to any charges during the ten-minute hearing.

Mr Wright told the court that expert reports were still being awaited.

The boy, who was 15 at the time of the incident, appeared in court via a videolink. Wearing an orange t-shirt, he sat quietly throughout the hearing and answered “yeah” when asked to conform his name by the court clerk.”

Both barristers issued reminders to the media to report the proceedings responsibly and not to identify the youngster. Mr Greaney said the warning also extended to bloggers and users of social media.

He added that people had already been prosecuted and imprisoned for breaching reporting restrictions.

A provisional trial date was set for November 3. The trial is expected to last for five days.

The Recorder of Leeds, Judge Peter Collier, QC, adjourned the hearing until September 26 when a pre-trial review hearing will take place.

The judge told the youngster he will have to remain in custody until then

Mrs Maguire died after she was attacked during a Spanish lesson at the school where she had taught for more than 40 years.

She was due to retire in September.

The killing is thought to be the first time a teacher has been stabbed to death in a British classroom and the first alleged murder of a teacher in a school since the 1996 Dunblane massacre.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page