two people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire in an eighth-floor flat in Moortown his morning (July 17).
Residents living on the eighth and ninth floors of the nine-storey Leafield Towers were evacuated as firefighters tackled the fire.
Crews attended Leafield Towers, off King Lane, after receiving an emergency call at 9.54am.
Shocked observer @rayprocter sent this picture to the Yorkshire Evening Post Twitter account @LeedsNews.
A spokeswoman said initial reports suggested someone might have been inside the flat but fire crews quickly established that the resident was not present.
A man and woman from a nearby flat, suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, were treated by paramedics from Yorkshire Ambulance Service at the scene before being taken to hospital.
The top two floors of the high-rise building – housing around 12 flats in total – were evacuated as a precaution.
Most residents had returned to their homes by 2.30pm.
Two crews from Leeds, one from Cookridge and one from Gipton fire stations attended.
A West Yorkshire Fire Service fire-investigation specialist remained at the scene this afternoon looking into the cause.
Leeds station manager Nigel Kirk said: “This has been a very heavily involved fire on the eighth floor, coming out of all the windows.
“We received many calls to this incident, which could be seen from far afield.
“The first crews on arrival (Cookridge) were very quick to make access to the property and extinguish the fire within five to six minutes of entering the flat and we were able to confirm no-one was inside.
“The flat where the fire happened is completely burned out, however, we managed to prevent the blaze from spreading anywhere else.
“Our response was well executed by fire crews and this is a good example of multi-agency working between ourselves, police, ambulance crews and Housing Leeds who were also quick on the scene.”