DCSIMG

New home for YEP, but we are still your paper

editorial image

editorial image

This week sees the Yorkshire Evening Post bid farewell to its Wellington Street building, as it moves to its new home of No.1 Leeds, on Whitehall Road.

The move for the newspaper and its sister title, the Yorkshire Post, heralds the start of a new chapter, as both publications enhance their print product with a growing digital offering, enabling readers to access news, sport, business and features from their computers, tablets and phones as well as from the newspaper.

The move, explains managing director Helen Oldham, gives your YEP the opportunity to embrace online news, as well as providing modern surroundings to produce excellent print products.

She said: “Next year we anticipate a significant growth in turnover from our digital business. We are committed to providing a better environment for people to work in – producing high quality copy in an environment with no windows is a big ask and does not feed creativity.

“It’s not just a good place to work, it will enable our advertising, newspaper sales, editorial and digital people to work more closely together. It will also enable us to create a stronger platform from which to continue campaigning for Yorkshire issues and to reflect Leeds and Yorkshire life.

“As a long established, Leeds based business we felt it was vital to remain at the heart of the city.”

Peter Charlton, editorial director of Yorkshire Post Newspapers, said: “The Yorkshire Evening Post and Yorkshire Post have been trusted by the people of Yorkshire for successive generations. Sadly, though, our Wellington Street premises simply do not reflect the modern conditions needed by a multi-media company today.

“Moving to bright, new offices will help us to better knit together as a team to develop our award-winning content across multiple platforms while building on the trust that we have earned since the Leeds Intelligencer was first launched 258 years ago.

“We will continue to play a pivotal role in the life of the Leeds and Yorkshire community, campaigning on the topics our audiences hold dear. We’re looking forward to welcoming our customers, clients, advertisers and readers to our new home.”

The Yorkshire Evening Post has moved once before.

1890 saw the newspaper first printed along with the Yorkshire Post, which was established back in 1754 as the Leeds Intelligencer, at Albion Street in Leeds.

In 1970, a new era started for Yorkshire Post Newspapers with the two publications moving to the £5 million purpose-built headquarters at Wellington Street.

This new site provided presses which formed the largest press installation in the world.

The building was designed by architect John Madin, who passed away in January this year and whose work also included the Pebble Mill TV studios and Birmingham Central Library.

The current building, with its landmark clock-tower, was officially opened by Prince Charles in December 1970.

Click here to follow us on Twitter

Click here to ‘Like Us’ on Facebook

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page